- Symptoms We Cure
- Our Approach
- The Science
Congratulations on your decision to have an Energy Audit. In order to make the Energy Audit as efficient and effective as possible, please prepare the following items prior to the Auditor arriving. The Energy Audit process normally takes between three and four hours. Payment by cash or check is expected on the date of service.
1) WINDOWS AND DOORS
Ensure all windows and doors are closed and latched with curtains/blinds raised or drawn open.
2) FIREPLACES OR WOODSTOVES
Cover the ashes with wet newspapers or equivalent to prevent them from coming out during blower door tests.
Clear any belongings to allow ladder access to attic hatches or to allow extension of drop down stairs.
4) KNEE WALL, CRAWLSPACE, OR OTHER WALL ACCESS HATCHES
Clear any belongings to allow access to open these.
5) COMBUSTION APPLIANCES
Clear any belongings to ensure adequate access to all gas, propane, or oil fired furnaces, boilers, or hot water heaters.
Please monitor small children and secure all pets.
7) UTILITY BILLS
Provide the Auditor a copy of the most recent gas and electric bills showing a 12-month history or a spreadsheet showing month and respective has therms or electric Kwh and the associated costs.
QUESTIONS WE MAY ASK:
- Any hot or cold spots throughout the property?
- Anyone in the home with asthma or year-round allergies?
- Any moisture concerns in the property?
- What year was the property built?
- What is the total square footage of the property?
- How long have you occupied the property and how long do you intend to stay?
- Do you know how old your water heater, air conditioner, and furnace or boiler is?
- Do your mirror steam up when you take a shower?
- Do you have any CO detectors and if so, how old are they? ( 5 years is life expectancy)
- How old are your appliances?
Just looking for additional insulation in your attic or sealing up air leaks? Did you know that making certain changes to your home can result in unforeseen consequences? That is why we always recommend a full home energy audit by Home Energy Medics prior to implementing any efficiency measures. This will provide a full view of your house, it's systems and what can be done to improve ALL areas of your home. Best of all, we refund all or part of the audit cost when you choose to have us implement the solutions.
We had David come and take a look at our home. He was very knowledgeable and personable. We have never experienced an energy audit before and were unsure of what to expect from it all.
Eddie and Gabbie C., Centreville, VA